POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.text.tutorials : Does anyone just use Povray? : Re: Does anyone just use Povray? Server Time
6 May 2024 18:47:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Does anyone just use Povray?
From: Warp
Date: 18 Jun 2000 11:51:11
Message: <394cefef@news.povray.org>
Phead <sco### [at] d0gznetnospam> wrote:
: Hey, Im using Moray, and Ive noticed alot of talk about Pov code. Does
: anyone just use Povray for modelling? Isn't that pretty hard to visualize?

  It depends. I seldom use moray, although I have made something with it.
  For example this image I made completely with moray:

http://www.students.tut.fi/~warp/pics/Schoolfood.jpg

  Usually I code everything by hand. An example:

http://www.students.tut.fi/~warp/pics/Class.jpg

  In most of my best images I make some objects with a modeller (moray or
spatch or a model made by someone else) and the rest by hand.
  For example in this image:

http://www.students.tut.fi/~warp/pics/Spacedog_3.jpg

the sorcerer is made with moray, his hand is made with blob sculptor and
everything else is made by hand (or automatically created by povray, like
the heightfield).

  Sometimes I also use some include files (mostly made by Chris Colefax) as
well. For example in this image:

http://www.students.tut.fi/~warp/pics/Starship.jpg

the galaxy background is created with Chris' galaxy include file while the
spaceship is made by hand.

  In this image:

http://www.students.tut.fi/~warp/pics/Spacedog_6.jpg

the head of the character was made with spatch, the background was created
with Chris' lens flare include, and everything else is made by hand.

  I seldom do anything 100% with moray (or any other modeller). Only when
I need some (usually organic-looking) object that's too difficult to make
by hand I use some modeller to make that object.

  How do I "visualize" the scene when coding? Well, I imagine the coordinate
system in my head and figure out the coordinates of a certain point in space
by looking at this 3D space in my head. The I make a test render and see
how much did it go wrong and fine-tune the values.
  It's not that hard. Requires just a bit of practice.

  Why I do this? Because I'm a coder and I like the freedom povray gives to
me when making a scene. I can easily make a while-loop to create several
copies of the object or use some other specialized algorithms to do what
I want. With a modeller I can't usually do this.